UN: Greenland ice melting six times faster than previous decades
In a new report just released on Friday, UN-backed climate change scientists have declared with 95 percent certainty that climate change is indeed man-made. The environmental panel on climate change has also called for a limit on greenhouse gas emissions, but say even with those limits, warming will likely continue for centuries.
Meanwhile, climate skeptics have rolled out their own campaign to challenge these dire findings.
Now joining us to discuss this report is Shubhankar Banerjee. He’s an environmental humanities scholar and activist. He founded ClimateStorytellers.org and is editor of the upcoming anthology Arctic Voices: Resistance at the Tipping Point, which will be out in October.
Thank you so much for joining us, Subhankar.
SUBHANKAR BANERJEE, ENVIRONMENTAL HUMANITIES SCHOLAR AND ACTIVIST: Thank you, Jaisal, for having me. It’s a pleasure.
NOOR: So, Subhankar, can you just lay out the most important findings of this report?
BANERJEE: Absolutely. What has been released, the viewers should understand, and what’s coming within the next year that IPCC will release, it’s actually a sequence of reports. And I’ll lay it out: it’s the most important report ever on human history. And the reason I say that this report–and viewers should understand that, that this report was prepared by world’s scientific–most prominent scientists around the world who are working on climate issues. More than 1,000 scientists from 55 countries have contributed to it, with 55,000 comments. And they have looked at more than 9,000 scientific literature. Mostly two-thirds of it has been published in the last–since 2007. So it has been really vetted. And that is the science side.
Then there is the policy side that needs to understand this is not just a scientific report, because all 190 countries had to sign off, their representatives had to sign off on this report. …
- Ice Melting Faster in Greenland and Antarctica in UN Leak (bloomberg.com)
- Common sense on climate change (cnn.com)
- Press release: Foreign Secretary welcomes UN IPCC report on Climate Change (gov.uk)
- Landmark 2013 IPCC Report: 95% Chance Most of Global Warming is Human-Caused (wunderground.com)
- IPCC climate report: the digested read (theguardian.com)
- UN leak reveals ice is disappearing faster in Greenland and Antarctica (icenews.is)
- Ice expedition as experts warn on climate change (thejournal.co.uk)
- IPCC report: The financial markets are the only hope in the race to stop global warming . (independent.co.uk)
- CO2 Reshaping the Planet, Meta-Analysis Confirms (ipsnews.net)
- The new IPCC climate report (realclimate.org)