Beluga whale paints a picture with a special paintbrush at the Hakkeijima Sea Paradise aquarium in Yokohama, on September 17, 2013. (AFP Photo/Yoshikazu Tsuno)
AFP 3 hours ago
Beluga whales at an aquarium near Tokyo are learning how to paint pictures as part of an autumn art programme for visitors, an official said Wednesday.
The sea creatures at the Hakkeijima Sea Paradise aquarium in Yokohama will be showing off their skills with specially adapted paintbrushes that they can hold in their mouths, a spokeswoman for the aquarium said.
A trainer standing on the poolside dips the brush into paint and guides the belugas to produce pictures that bear a passing resemblance to natural scenes.
“This is part of our ‘geijutsu no aki (autumn, the best season for art),'” she said.
“The ideal is that a beluga will emulate what we’ve prepared for one of our customers to hold — a fish-shaped paper cutout — of course trainers will guide the whale to do that,” she said.
“We’ll see how well they manage.”
Two female belugas will demonstrate their new skills in rotation once every weekday and twice a day at weekends, she said.
The beluga, also known as the white whale, is on the red list of threatened species published by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.
Some activists object to the training of whales and dolphins for aquarium shows and Japan is frequently the target of complaints over its attitude to animals, particularly the annual slaughter of dolphins in the western town of Taiji.
- Beluga whales learn how to paint (telegraph.co.uk)
- Yokohama aquarium teaches beluga whales to paint (japandailypress.com)
- Georgia Aquarium Denied Permit to Import Beluga Whales (livescience.com)
- Belugas Behind Bars: Activists Try to Free 18 Captive Whales (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- Belugas Behind Bars: Activists Try to Free 18 Captive Whales (spiritandanimal.wordpress.com)
- Kim Basinger blows her hole over captive whales (contactmusic.com)
- Feds deny aquarium request for beluga whales (summitcountyvoice.com)
- SeaWorld San Antonio records 13th beluga whale death since 1995 (kvue.com)
- SeaWorld San Antonio records 13th beluga whale death since 1995 (kens5.com)
- SeaWorld San Antonio records 13th beluga whale death since 1995 (khou.com)